Search This Blog

Back on the Coast

Back on the Coast

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Round and Round, We go....

Hello, again - I've been very busy, getting myself re-established on the island. Funny, no matter how things change, they still remain the same. I've got myself a casual job for the warm(?) part of the year, doing some property maintenance (read cutting lawns, gardening, etc.); so, I'm all set. Soon, it will be springtime for real, and I'll be happy to see the sunshine return.

But, I can't believe what's going on out there, but, no wonder. How did the world expect to carry on with a super-heated economy, and for it not to fall flat on it's face. Regardless, it's important to do what you need to do; deal with it the best you can. If you are a vandweller, while you are living economically, you are vulnerable to various hazards that swirl around us. I suggest you go where things are better, so you can weather these turbulent times, easier. We don't need much, but, I've been a fan of living in areas where I feel comfortable (read safer, more laid back).

The economic crash is a sign of the times. Greed, blatant capitalism, exploitation of natural resources and peoples, is not economically/environmentally sustainable or humane. So, I revel in the fact that I've minimized my demands and needs on the 'system'. So, it's up to each and everyone of us to help these changes, to evolve, by example. If we as people don't buy the crap made by the corporations of the world, then they won't make it, cause they will lose money. Or at least, they will begin to make the things we really want/need, by us choosing with our dollars, and will address some the afore mentioned concerns. It's up to us.

Recycle, reduce, reuse. Fair trade. Let's not trade in our planet, for jobs. There's no point of having money and toys to play with, if you can't breathe the air, or swim in the ocean, or eat the food. Think about it.

Take care of yourself and yours in these troubled times, Urban Vandweller

9 comments:

Nick Anderson said...

Hey, I've been following your blog for some time, it's always a good read - looking forward to future updates! I guess you're busy enjoying life!

Ben Schnell said...

I will soon be a vandweller. There is hardly anyone I know or hang out with that consider vandewlling a legitimate lifestyle. For me, its the only thing I'm sure of right now. Thanks for the validation.

Anonymous said...

Excellent points, well said!

Michel said...

When you coming back to post?? I want to see what else you did to your van!

And I'm so curious where the myriad women you mentioned before (I think you said 3 fiancees, 3 wives, 3 commonlaw wives?) live when you are together... do they stay in the van with you? What about the daughter you mentioned? I'm curious because of the space issue, and because I am interested in how people make relationships work in such tight quarters.

GSIslander said...

Im wanting to do some van camping here on the island. Do you know of any good out of the way spots? Say around Cathedral Grove?

Solitary T said...

Excellent article! I'd like to see a recent update. Thanks for throwing some fuel on my vandwelling fire!

Russell T.
www.battlewagonchronicles.com

Anonymous said...

I liked your comment about "what good are toys if you can't breath the air or eat the food". Would you consider adding a link to my website from your helpful blog? I will of course reciprocate or send you a free copy of the book in exchange? http://www.vanabode.com must be cool to live on an island!

Frank said...

So you live in Canada, can you tell me how you stay warm in sub-zero temp. What type of heater do you use, does it have a very high BTU? Does it really keep you warm and how bad is the snow for driving? Do you live in your van in the winter time or some other place?

Larry said...

Hey, UV are you going to post again? Really enjoyed what I read.